Tuesday 26 February 2013

New Music!!

Any one who knows me, or virtually knows me by following this little slice of internet knows that I am constantly acquiring and listening to new music.  I get a real thrill when I find something new that has a fresh distinct sound.  Genres be damned, I am all over the place with my tastes.  I thought I would share with you some of my the most recent albums that I have been listening to and provide a short review.

Brazilian Girls- Brazilian Girls (2005) & Talk To La Bomb (2006)

I had already listened repeatedly to their most recent album New York City (2008) and had really enjoyed the laid back feel their brand of electronica had.  After a few listens to their other material and I can confirm that they are just as good.  I often listen to an album a few dozen times before I realize just how solid it is.  If an album holds my attention through each song and has no lulls I subconsciously find myself overplaying it like a pre-teen girl with her Beiber albums.

Hot Chip- Coming On Strong (2004), The Warning (2006), Made In The Dark (2008), One Life Stand (2010)

After hearing their most recent album In Our Heads (2012) what seems like 100 times, I went ahead and grabbed everything else these guys have ever produced.  While the current album is catchy beyond belief, I have not had enough listening time to the other albums to know if they hold the same powers.  Doubtless, all 4 albums are worth your time as the guys are incredibly talented when it comes to the mellow style of electronica.

Tegan and Sara - Heartthrob (2013)

Yes! New Stuff!  It has been 4 years since the last new album from the folk rock duo, and they didn't disappoint.  Displaying a knack for writing catchy lyrics matched with unique melodies this album explores a more synthetic pop sound as opposed to the acoustic guitar heavy folk sounds they have always relied on.  They mix their new sound with some classic stylings and a creative, fresh album is the pleasing result.

Goldfrapp - Head First (2010)

The fifth album from this British duo has a great upbeat sound that has garnered success in a variety of different countries.  Made up of Alison Goldfrapp and Will Gregory. they mix her strong, pure vocals with synthesizers to create an electronica sound that relies more heavily on vocals then most do.  The synthesizers provide a showcasing background for her talents.  I will likely check out more of their work in the future.

 Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city (2012)

A 25 year old rapper from Compton, Kendrick Lamar's album was one of the best reviewed albums of last year, finding its way onto all sorts of "best of" and "top album" lists.  It received plenty of praise in mainstream music as well, something quite uncommon in the rap genre.  I have admittedly only given it a couple listens, but I like what I hear so far.

Jack Parow - Jack Parow (2010)

This South African rapper features heavily on the Die Antwoord album that I have been really enjoying, so I thought I would check out his album as well.  Incorporating both the Afrikaans and English languages, he spits hard in a "gangster" style, but he generally has an upbeat message despite his delivery.  He prefers to rap in Afrikaans as he says it flows much smoother for him, his music is catchy despite the language barrier.

Down With Webster - Down With Webster (2007)

I have always had a passing interest in this group as they have an interesting pop style mixed with a clean sounding rap delivery.  After hearing that they would be coming to town in support of Mariannas Trench, I decided to give their debut album a listen.  It's anchored by its upbeat feel that kept me listening and enjoying.  I will have to give their 2nd and 3rd albums a go before long.

Mariannas Trench - Ever After (2011)

Despite Mariannas Trench having a significant following in Canada amongst the pop music crowd, I had only heard them a handful of times.  When I heard they were coming to Prince George to headline the CN Center, I was intrigued.  When I found out how much Sheila though of them, and discovering that they were played on her favourite radio station constantly, I decided to grab the album.  The big single "Ever After" is as advertised, a great catchy pop tune that you can listen to repeatedly.  So, as I play the Down With Webster and Mariannas Trench albums in the house, I have been building interest in the concert.  I gave Sheila her ticket last week for her birthday, but I hope to keep Jasmine in the dark a little longer.  She hasn't been to a concert before, so I expect a wee bit of excitement.

The Steeldrivers - Hammer Down (2013)

 As a nice change of pace I decided to give this Bluegrass group a go.  True to the genre, this album is heavy on banjo riffs and gravelly sounding vocals.  I am currently giving it a listen for the first time and it's lyrics are well-written and relaxing.


That's my time, give a few of these a listen, you won't be disappointed.  Thanks to my fellow blogger Yakshi, who's blog can be found here who's album capsule features have given me new music to listen to, and also inspired me to post what I am listening to.




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recommendations. I agree about Kendrick Lamar. Good album. Some others you mention I've never heard of. I look forward to checking them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been really enjoying your music reviews, so I thought I would reciprocate. My technical music knowledge is minimal, but I might try giving more complete album reviews in the future. A blatant ripoff of your album capsules if you will. Thanks for helping me find great music to listen to.

    ReplyDelete